black isle built since 1796
A montage of our first cat, Gordon and the path to the Mill with Granny Beech in the foreground.
Created by Iso Meldrum in 1999.
Gordons Mill, on the Black Isle just west of Udale Bay, is some 10 kilometres to the west of Cromarty.
The "clachan" of Gordons Mill is at the end of a track off the main road (B9163) from Balblair to Newhall Bridge. This track cuts south east towards the largest building which is the mill, converted to domestic use in 2 tranches - the mill in 1992 and the kiln in 1997.
Other buildings consist of a renovated cottage and outbuildings and, two more modern dwellings built in 2004. The road leads ultimately to gates to a field and dyke system bordering Udale Bay reserve, owned and managed by the RSPB. A neighbour maintains a list of birdlife in the area.
The mill is known to have existed from 1796 (date on skew-put). The ruinous Kirkmichael (kirk) is about 1 kilometre to the north and the area has many iron and bronze age remains. Pictish communities flowered on the surrounding coastlines. Norse influence is evident from the nearby bay - Udale Bay (odal -old Norse for freehold) and in the name of the county town; Dingwall about 12 kilometers distant.
The mill has been used for different purposes during its 210 years:- corn, barley, saw mill, wool carding mill and possibly even snuff before being converted into domestic apartments in 1992.
The area round the Mill is low lying and has sand / clay bedding relevant to a normal estuarine area. The height is 4.5 metres above Chart Datum. Newhall Burn drains into Udale Bay and it was this burn that originally fed the undershot wheel and powered the mill.